Mexican Stir-Fry Ingredients Non-stick olive oil spray 12 cups broccoli cole slaw (I used 2 12oz bags of organic Trader Joe’s broccoli slaw and it was the perfect amount for 4 servings, and it’s $1.99/bag 😉) 16 oz raw extra-lean ground beef 4 tsp of […]
Month: March 2018
Watch out McDonald’s! This eggamuffin will definitely give the egg McMuffin some competition! This is delicious, healthy and easy to make. When meal prepping for four servings, I actually still microwave the egg whites as if I’m making a single serving, in a large mug […]
Veggie Scramble with Avocado Toast
- 4oz mashed avocado or one avocado
- 1/2 cup of fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp plus 4 dashes of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp plus 4 dashes of garlic powder
- 4 dashes of chili powder
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 4 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped bell pepper (about 2 peppers)
- 2 cups of egg whites
- 1 cup seeded and diced tomato
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread toasted or turn it into a tostada with 4 whole wheat medium large toasted tortillas.
- Mix avocado with yogurt in medium bowl until uniform. Add 4 dashes of each of the seasonings, and if not eating right away about 2 tsp of lime juice to preserve the avocado, and stir. If doing make ahead meals, cover and refrigerate.
- Spray a large sauté pan with non-stick olive oil spray, and cook mushrooms, spinach, and pepper over medium heat until mushrooms and peppers are softened and spinach is wilted, about 4 minutes. Using the sauté pan lid, drain out any liquid, and/or blot with a paper towel. If preparing for make ahead meals divide amongst four sealable containers.
- Re-spray sauté pan and add egg whites and the 1/2 tsp of each of the seasonings, and cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until egg mixture is set. For make ahead meals divide into the four sealable containers with the veggie mixture, seal and refrigerate.
- On the day of, spread toast with avocado spread and reheat egg mixture in microwave for about 2 minutes and enjoy!
This recipe is inspired by Lisa Lillien’s “Hungry Girl Diet Cookbook”. This recipe serves 4 and contains 330 calories, 7.5g of fat, 50g of carbs, 17g of fiber, and 27g of protein.
Cheesy Chicken Avocado Southwestern Veggie Bowl Ingredients Non-stick olive oil spray 16oz boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets, or chicken breasts 8 dashes of garlic powder (about two sprinkles per cutlet) Dash of both salt and black pepper both (1 per cutlet) 2 cups frozen sweet […]
Apple Raisin Chicken Salad
- Non-stick olive oil spray
- 1 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp arrow root powder
- 2 tsp light whipped butter
- 1/2 tsp of Dijon mustard
- 4 1/2 oz raw boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes
- Dash of salt and black pepper
- 1/2 c chopped Gala or other sweet apple
- 1/3 c chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- 4 c baby spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lay a large piece of heavy-duty foil on a baking sheet, and spray with non-stick spray. *If increasing this recipe to serve 4, lay out 3 more pieces of foil, same size as the first and spray with non-stick spray.
- In medium-large bowl (large if prepping 4 servings at once), combine vinegar, sugar, and arrow root. Whisk to dissolve. Add butter and mustard, and whisk until mostly uniform.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, and add to the bowl. Add apple, onion, raisins, and stir to coat.
- Distribute mixture onto the center of foil, or divide evenly onto the four sprayed foil pieces if prepping 4 servings. Cover with another piece of foil or another four pieces of foil for the other four servings.
- Fold together and seal all four edges of the foil pieces, forming a well-sealed packet. I’m able to fit 2 packets per baking sheet if making four servings. Bake for 20 minutes, rotating baking sheets half way through if making four servings, until chicken is fully cooked and apple and onion are tender.
- Meanwhile place spinach in a serving bowl or divide four servings of spinach amongst four sealable to-go containers if prepping for four servings and refrigerate.
- Slightly open packet to release steam before opening entirely. Add contents to the bowl of spinach and mix well. If prepping for make ahead meals, empty each packet into separate sealable to-go containers separate from spinach containers and refrigerate. When ready to eat, just re-heat chicken in the microwave for 2-3 minutes and toss with the spinach.
This recipe is inspired from Lisa Lillien’s “The Hungry Girl Diet Cookbook”. The ingredient measurements above are for one serving. One serving contains 330 calories, 7g of fat, 31.5g of carbs, 5g of fiber, 20g of sugar, 33g of protein.
The original recipe called for cornstarch instead of arrow root. I use arrow root because it’s a cleaner option with the same desired thickening effect. I use Bob’s Red Mill brand that can be found in the baking aisle of Publix.
This recipe utilizes foil packets, which is one of my favorite techniques to use for cooking. The food always comes out tender and flavorful!
Spring is finally here! The following is a list of produce that is in season right now. I hope this helps your planning of more affordable and flavorful meals. 😊 Apples Apricots Artichokes Arugula Asparagus Avocado Bananas Broccoli Butter Lettuce Cabbage Carrots Celery Collard Greens […]
Apple Cinnamon Bowl
Ingredients for 1 serving:
- 1/2 cup 2% low fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp of chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 stevia packet
- 1 1/4 cups chopped apple or 1/2 of a large apple
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- 1/4 oz or 1 Tbsp of chopped walnuts
In medium bowl, combine cottage cheese, yogurt, chia seeds, cinnamon, and stevia. Mix well. Or if making 4 or more servings, just measue out ingredients into individual meal prep bowls and mix well. Top with remaining ingredients.
This is another delicious on the go recipe I tried from Lisa Lillien’s The Hungry Girl Diet Cookbook. I was hesitant about trying it because I really don’t like cottage cheese, but I was surprised to find that this is delicious!
If you are not familiar with chia seeds, they are a great source of energy, protein and fiber. They’re an excellent addition to any smoothie or yogurt snack. I’ve found chia seeds at Target, Trader Joe’s, and Publix.
Each serving contains 323 calories, 9 grams of fat, 454mg of sodium, 41 grams of carbohydrates, 7.5 grams of fiber, 28.5 grams of sugar, 22 grams of protein.